Thursday, March 24, 2016

Thursday Thoughts

Did your mom ever tell you, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"? She was right, and talking nicely also applies when you're talking to yourself, even inside your head.

Just yesterday, my brother was telling everyone about the time my daughter said, "I look so beautiful. Tell me how beautiful I look!" And even though it gave us all a good laugh, I wish I could take that confidence, save it all up and somehow keep her from ever letting go of that. Ever.

As a parent, one of my biggest fears is watching my child go through the same things that I struggled with. As I watch this world become colder and more critical, I want to ignite a confidence in my child that can't be dulled. No matter what anyone has to say to her.

More important than confidence, though, I want to instill in her a a genuine sense of self-awareness. For when you are self-aware, you truly can't be cut down by the words and thoughts of others. When you know your strengths and weaknesses intimately, you can take pride in what you do well and work on the things you lack. When you know yourself, others' perceptions of you cease to matter. This is what I want--for myself, for my daughter, for everyone. No one's words can hurt worse than the ones you tell yourself, so speak kindly and honestly.

"It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to, has power over you." --Leon Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're seeking help

It always takes a lot of back and forth in my head before I finally work up the courage to post these things. Because we say, "end the ...